The aim of the Karoo Buddies Program is to create friendly and caring primary school communities where strong cross-aged peer reelationships can be built and maintained. The Buddies Program helps students to develop positive social skills.
The activities focus on core values such as friendliness, responsibility, respect, caring for others, valuing and supporting difference and including others. The program is specifically designed to help children understand and use these values in safe, supportive social settings.
The Preps and Year 5 and Year 1 and Year 6 are involved in the Buddy System which…
- eases the transition of younger students
- builds relationships between peers and multi-aged groupings.
- provides activities that develop essential social skills.
- encourage leadership, responsibility and respect in older students.
- enables longer children to feel safe and cared for while older children feel valued and respected.
- fosters a sense of whole school community.
- extends and enhances a peer support structure already implemented at the school. e.g. Circle Time.