What is Discovery Learning?
Discovery Learning is a vital part of our transition program from kindergarten to school. It provides the students with the opportunity to play and further develop their academic and social skills in a less formalised setting.
At Karoo we pride ourselves on offering our students play based learning opportunities. Students can play and learn in a well designed and stimulating environment.
Through Discovery Learning our students become:
- Independent learners by choosing what they need and want to use in an activity of their choice.
- Creative learners through opportunities to demonstrate their creativity in art and craft, drama, dance and problem solving activities.
- Investigators by using their prior knowledge about a topic and to build upon this by using texts, technology and by conversing with their peers.
- Problem solvers through opportunities to work on puzzles and in areas where they can make structures using materials and blocks. Students often refine their constructions and use Mathematical language such as longer, higher, bigger etc.
- Reflective learners through encouragement to think about and discuss their Discovery Learning activities. They are given the opportunity to write about these specific activities and determine what interested them the most.
- Social learners by engaging and interacting with others. They learn to take turns, co-operate, share, value and respect their peers.
The Aims of our Program
- Use children’s natural curiosity to enhance their learning.
- Engage students in literacy, numeracy and the Integrated Studies unit, by allowing them to develop their skills and understandings in an open, student centred environment.
- Link explicit teaching in English and Mathematics to experiences that are personally significant to the students and therefor engaging. Consequently, our teaching stems from students experiences and interests.
- Provide for development of social, motor and thinking skills.
- Encourage students to take control over their own learning and achievement by teaching self-direction and self-monitoring skills.
Discovery Learning is a wonderful catalyst for supporting Oral Language development and encourages students to converse and listen to their peers in play situations as well as to support and further extend their vocabulary.